By Harriet Jones, Paul Addison
A spouse to modern Britain covers the foremost topics and debates of 20th-century background from the outbreak of the second one international battle to the tip of the century.
- Assesses the impression of the second one international conflict
- Looks at Britain’s function within the wider international, together with the legacy of Empire, Britain’s ‘special courting’ with the us, and integration with continental Europe
- Explores cultural concerns, resembling category attention, immigration and race relatives, altering gender roles, and the effect of the mass media
- Covers family politics and the economic system
- Introduces the various views dominating ancient writing in this interval
- Identifies the major matters that are more likely to gasoline destiny debate
Read Online or Download A Companion to Contemporary Britain: 1939-2000 PDF
Best 20th century books
Even though generally linked to modernity or modernism, utopia has made a comeback within the age of globalization. simply because the discoveries of the hot international and the social upheavals of early glossy Europe encouraged Thomas More's Utopia and its many descendants, the bewildering technological shifts and financial uncertainties of the current period demand new techniques.
Shaped in October 1943, the 479th FG claimed a powerful historical past opposed to the Luftwaffe in the course of the ultimate 12 months of the battle. initially flying P-38s, the 479th's pilots had a fierce satisfaction of fingers. They earned a Presidential uncommon Unit quotation within the past due summer season of 1944 and have been additionally credited with the USAAF's first German jet kill in July 1944.
Those files have been accumulated from the records in Rostov-on-Don, and this ebook makes them on hand for the 1st time in print. considering that turning into freely obtainable Soviet records have supplied a wealthy resource for knowing the hopes, fears and strivings of the Russians in the course of the maximum problem of their historical past.
- Modern America: 1964-present (Discovering U.S. History)
- Grounded in Eire: The Story of Two RAF Fliers Interned in Ireland During World War II
- Contemporary American Literature: (1945-Present) (Background to American Literature)
- The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (The Chronicles of Narnia, Book 5)
- La Caproni di Taliedo: Storia di un'industria aeronautica
Extra resources for A Companion to Contemporary Britain: 1939-2000
16. Zweiniger-Bargielowska, Austerity in Britain, pp. 32–3. Bridgen and Lowe, Welfare Policy under the Conservatives, pp. 190–1. Zweiniger-Bargielowska, Austerity in Britain, pp. 43–4. Milward, The Economic Effects of the World Wars on Britain, p. 26. Daunton, Just Taxes, pp. 236, 243. Atkinson, ‘Distribution of Income and Wealth’, p. 356. McKibbin, Classes and Cultures, pp. 118–19. Cole, The Post-War Condition of England, p. 44. McKibbin, Classes and Cultures, p. 100. Benney, Almost a Gentleman, p.
But, the report declared: ‘Want is only one of the five giants on the road to reconstruction and in some ways the easiest to attack. ’ Published in a blaze of publicity the Beveridge Report was phenomenally popular. An opinion poll a fortnight later showed that 95 per cent of the public were aware of it and 88 per cent thought it should be implemented. Only 53 per cent, however, believed that it would be implemented. The gap between the wishes of the electorate and their expectations opened up fertile territory for Labour which left-wing publicists in Picture Post, the Daily Mirror and elsewhere exploited to the full between 1942 and 1945.
Like the United States and the rest of western Europe, Britain was experiencing the ‘Golden Age’, an era of full employment and sustained economic growth that began in the late 1940s and lasted until 1973, when the oil crisis foreshadowed a return to more troubled conditions. It is plausible to assume that the long boom which followed the war must have been to some degree a consequence of the war. But what was the connection between the two? Keynesianism in the narrow sense of demand management was ACB1 2/19/05 9:56 AM Page 16 16 paul addison employed mainly to damp down the inflationary effects of full employment.